Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, June 18, 2010

Garden Update

Here's the garden on June 1st. At this point I was convinced that the only thing that would survive would be the squash (far bottom left hand side). All the little plants look kind of pathetic.


Two weeks later (June 15th). All 3 squash seeds took and are now actively plotting how they will take over the lawn. Each leave is massive! I'm in all astonishment. The peppers and tomatoes are doing quite well also. Almost all the tomatoes are past the first rung of the tomato cages and should past the second rung by next Wednesday. I plan on pinching off any flowers that appear before they reach the third rung so that the plant will be mature enough to produce good fruit. The pepper plants are doing wonderfully well too. Only 1 out of 15 is really struggling but not enough for me to rip it out and plant a new one in its place.



Here's the first pepper of the year. When its fully ripe it will be an orange pepper, I think. Or maybe a yellow one. I can't remember. It's still pretty small and has a bit more growing to do before we harvest it and give it to the neighbors.



Here's the first jalapeno of the year. This puppy is growing fast and just started to plump out this week. I can't wait for more spicy treats to make an appearance.


I thought I would include a picture of the tree in our backyard. We never planted this little guy. As a matter of fact we mowed over it every week for almost 6 months. One day, Alex got fed up and went to dig out the "weed" and discovered that it was more of a "bush". We let it grow all last summer to see what kind of "bush" it was. Turns out that our bush is really an Elm tree and is now almost 12 feet tall.

The herbs are doing really well too. The basil was the first to come up and then the cilantro came up next. I'll start harvesting them in about 2 weeks. I'm so looking forward to eating my fill of Margarita pizza's (tomato sauce, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella cheese). Pictures are sure to follow!

1 comment:

Ann Flowers said...

Nice blog. Being a great lover of garden art, I enjoyed going through your blog.