Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Interior Upgrades

Alex has been wanting a large plant-like tree for the living room/dining room for a while now. While I was at Lowe's picking up some random supplies for the flower bed project I stumbled upon this palm of some sort. I'm sure I'll kill it or keep it alive as single palm leaf for ever and ever but for now it has found a home dividing our living room from the dining room.


Tommy thought he would take a break from hauling brick for the flower bed and instead I got him to install the under-the-sink Reverse Osmosis system. It took all of 10 minutes to install and I'm so happy that we finally got one. We spend $5.25 a week buying bottled gallons of water. That adds up to $273 a year in drinking water alone. The RO system cost $115. You know you're an adult (or border-line nuts) when you start costing out the expense of water! The water tastes great and it's made a nice little addition to our kitchen.


After the flower bed was done, the very next day the boys started on the garage door opener. This would have been lovely to have during the cold and windy winter days but I'm glad to have it now. It took a while to assemble it because the directions didn't make much sense and neither Alex nor Tommy had ever put together a garage door opener before. It's pretty quiet and it works great.


That night after dinner, Tommy put up the ceiling fan in the living room. We have vaulted ceilings in the dining room and living room and I thought that the space looked a little empty. I've been looking for a ceiling fan for a while and really couldn't decide on one until I spotted this one. It took Tom all of 10 minutes to have it assembled and wired. This will be one great asset when summer is in full swing!

3 comments:

Jacob and Emily said...

Nice water fountain! It's beautiful and the plant looks healthy too! Don't kill it. The garage opener is a glorious invention . . . until the neighbors get ahold of one and find your frequency! Probably not a problem in KS.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

WOW! Check you out and your honey do lists! That is what I call getting stuff done!

Mandy and Alex said...

Originally we were only going to install the garage door opener as a 1st anniversary present for being home-owners but then we figured with the extra help of my brother we knock out more things at once. Yeah, it always amazes me what we can accomplish with a little sweat equity and a tax refund!