Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, November 15, 2010

Regatta on the Arkansas River

My overly-buff brother-in-law, Z, was down from Creighton for the weekend for a Regatta competition against WSU, KU, K-State, and a few other states. I've never seen a regatta race before so it was really nice to head down to the Riverside Park to watch individual, two-team, four-team and and eight-team races. Both the men and the women teams raced. We were lucky to have really great weather too. Here's the brothers after the first 4 man race. All I can say is Holy Biceps Batman!


It's not the clearest of pictures but Z is the first man in the boat facing you. The person with her back to us is the one who calls out all the motivating words of encouragement. I forget what her official title is but that's the kind of job I want. It pretty much sounds like this: "ALRIGHT! YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE ME A HARD 10 ON 3! (they stroke), 2! (the stoke), 1! ( strong stroke) MOVE IT! (stroke) HARDER! (stroke) QUIT BE A SISSY! (stroke) YOU HEARD ME! (stroke) 5 MORE TO GO! (stroke) COME ON! (stroke) THE DUCKS ARE PASSING US! (stroke, stroke, stroke)" or something like that. 


I'm not sure if they placed or not because the races are based on times. I guess I thought that they lined up on the river and raced back up it and whoever crossed the mark first won. They do race against other people but they all have different start times. I enjoyed it all the same and I'm looking forward to going next year if Z plans on competing again.

4 comments:

Jacob and Emily said...

Holy muscles is right! I didn't know WSU was there. That would be fun to watch!

Mandy and Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy and Alex said...

WSU=Wichita State University not Washington State University. But yeah, it was fun to watch anyway.

CB said...

Way cool. That would be tons of fun to watch. :)