Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, October 3, 2010

No More Baby Stuff

Once upon a time, I brought home a cute little black baby...


Who ate out of cute little baby bowls until he was fat and chubby...

And slept in a monster cage when he was barely the size of two tiny toys put together...


But today is the official end of all the baby stuff. Now the little baby is a massive 130 pound black beast (although a very well behaved one)...



Gone are the days of tiny dog bowls. In their place is an enormous 18" high stand that holds an ungodly amount of liquid and food....



Lately, Davey would much rather nap here instead of in his kennel...


About a month ago he decided that our guest bed suited his taste much more than the couch or the fluffy clean blankets in his cage when it came to napping or resting his head for the night. And, we've been leaving David out of his kennel for small periods of time since his first birthday. For probably the last month we haven't been putting him in it at all when we leave for work and he's behaved wonderfully.


So today, I decided that it was time to break down the kennel. For the briefest of moments, I teared up just like I did the day his sweet baby breath disappeared forever, or when he out-grew his first little collar, or the day he lost his first baby tooth, or on his first birthday when he was no longer considered a "puppy". It's all very silly, I know. He is, after all, just a dog. But I hugged him until he grew tired of being hugged, gave a mom-sigh, dismantled the cage, and dragged it out to the garage. I should be relieved that the baby stage is truly behind us now, right? I know... that's what I'll keep telling myself.

5 comments:

Jacob and Emily said...

Yes yes . . . bitter sweet. Save the cage for when you get puppy hungry!

Dog Bowls said...

HAH!! They grow up so quick. Misha the Great Dane is almost 4 and she still acts like a puppy every day. She is good about getting off the bed, but I am currently on the edge of the couch typing this while she lays behind me.

Jaden and Stacy said...

LOL! I loved this! I know how you feel about how great it was when they are babies and then they grow up the baby stuff gets put away. Mine isn't a dog but I still understand! I can't believe how big he is!! I loved Emily's comment about when you get puppy hungry,LOL! Love it!!

Jaden and Stacy said...

Amanda thanks for always commenting on my blogs! I feel like I am not writing them for just me. I just thought that I would answer your question really fast. I did paint the kitchen myself. I am kind of a freak and reupholstered the chairs to be green and you can't see it but there is a whole between the two cupboards behind Jaden and I put the left over fabric there to cover it up. We also painted the cupboards on top because they were brown. So weird that they didn't match. Thanks again for always commenting!

CB said...

Mandy...he is just plain awesomeness! I've been wondering how big he is now. He is a gorgeous dog. Happy birthday, Davey. :)