Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, May 24, 2010

Farmville, Part 3

I know that I said in my last post that "planting would have to wait for tomorrow" but that was a bit of a lie. I just couldn't resist having all that black dirt lying empty for the night. Plus, I had all those Burpee babies just waiting to be planted. So I quickly grabbed a few tomato plants and this monster (summer squash) and planted them in the few remaining moments of fading light.


The next day it rained all day long. In between each shower I managed to plant almost every thing else. This picture is taken a few days later when everything had a chance to dry out a bit. The squash in on the far left hand side with 9 sweet peas, and two rows of bunched onions. The next 3 rows contain a variety of peppers- Sweet Cayenne, Hot Portugal, California Wonder (green bell peppers), Red peppers, and a mystery mix that might produce white, green, red, purple, and chocolate color bell peppers. The last 3 rows (closest to the patio) contain Jubilee (yellow) tomatoes, Roma and Big Boy tomatoes. So far it looks like they're all going to make it with the exception of 1.


I'm really hoping that we get a good crop this year of at least something. I'm really learning a lot as we go along. I started putting down the manure yesterday and in a week I'll start giving them liquid fertilizer. I think they need all the help they can get.

I also planted 6 types of herbs. We go through so much basil, cilantro, mint, oregano, rosemary and thyme every month that I decided it would be more economical and accessible if we grew some ourselves. I set the boxes out the night that we dug up the sod and they completely flooded because I didn't get a chance to drill tiny holes in the bottom so that water could leak out. So I killed all of them except mint. The moisture level was back to normal yesterday, so I replanted all the herbs.


So there's our little farm. I'm really, really hoping that we get some produce this year. It would be great to see all this effort produce something tasty. Next year I might not grow the tomatoes from seeds like I did this year but instead just buy the plants from a nursery. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how everything turns out.

2 comments:

CB said...

Good luck with everything! You have been busy!! Can't wait to see the progress of how everything is growing! :)

Mama Harris said...

oK..i will make this short and sweet because the last three attempts at writing something very beautiful to you has failed.
Your hard work will certainly pay off in the end. It's nice to know that you are enjoying your home and the outdoors!
Keep me posted on how things are growing!
love
mom