Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, May 20, 2010

When in Rome...

Alex and I have been planning to plant a garden for what seems like ages now. I became thoroughly convinced last summer when bell peppers cost $1.50 a piece that we desperately needed to grow our own. Last fall we mapped out an area in our back yard and in March I purchased a 50 piece Burpee starter kit. That's the 2 square boxes you see at the bottom. In the far left one, I planted all the herbs that we use on a regular basis (thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, mint, and cilantro). In the second box I planted 3 types of tomatoes, 2 types of bell pepper, onions, and one summer squash. On the far right, I planted 7 spicy/hot pepper plants. I think next year I'll organize a Garden Party in the neighborhood and see who shows up.


Then in April, when I should have been studying, I decided to start digging some of the sod out of the garden. Under the sod is 100% clay. It's easier to dig up than Nevada clay, but once its wet it sticks to everything. We picked an area in our back yard that gets tons of sunlight but has fairly good drainage.


After an hour, this is how much I had dug. Yes, its pitiful. I grew bored and conveniently realized I had better things to do.

I'll post more tomorrow.

Before I go, I want to wish my beloved husband a wonderful and Happy 36th Birthday! May the next 36 years be more amazing than the first!

No comments: