Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Aisle 8

Aisle 8 is my Kryptonite. It is my weakness. It is my budget-busting downfall. It is my Siren or Circe and I am it's Odysseus. What is Aisle 8 you ponder? Simply put, dreaded Aisle 8 is the laundry/cleaning supply aisle in my Dillion's grocery store.

I should set the record straight by saying that I'm very strategic when I go grocery shopping. I try to exert self-control. I know enough to make a list but I don't just make any old list. I plan out each and every meal for two weeks ahead of time. I imagine snacks, and lunch, an occasional breakfast, and Alex's sweet-tooth. I day-dream my way through coupons to see if any of them will fit conveniently onto my list. Then I begin to organize the items depending upon the department I will pass through from beginning to end. Before I know it an hour has passed. Oh, it gets worse. When I finally get into the store, I write down on my list how much each and everything costs. I have budgets inside of budgets. I bargain shop to the point that Alex will no longer come grocery shopping with me and I'm perfectly fine with it. I even organize my grocery cart to get maximum storage without squishing the fruit on the bottom and yet allowing enough leeway to unload it in such a manner that all the meat, and boxes, and cans are all placed on the conveyor belt in the appropriate categories. I tell myself it helps the bagger. I tell myself a lot of things. I travel only down the aisles that I know hold the items on my list. That is until Aisle 8.

Aisle 8. Aisle 8.

It haunts me. I pass by it casually. Maybe it won't see me. Then, as it never fails, something will catch my eye and before I know it I've turned my cart around and I'm walking nonchalantly by it again. I begin to talk to myself (hopefully just in my head) or more likely talk myself out of why I need an Arm-pit stain remover. I walk past it again, only to take a quick glance over my shoulder to see how much the price of Tide is this week and the before I know it I've turned around again. I give in and turn down the walkway.

I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to this particular section. I'm lured in by new fabric softener fragrance and matching dryer sheets. I am seduced by cleaning products promising lemony-fresh disinfected surfaces and new-and-improved garbage disposal cleaning agents. I am fascinated by the question, "Why would I buy a 6-pack of Scotch-Brite scrub sponges for $6.49 when I can get two 3-packs of Scotch-Brite scrub sponges for $5.00?" I yearn for the days when I stumble across the Fabreeze scented candles that have been knocked down $2 in price. I nearly jump for joy when I find a particular soap on clearance and figure out that YES!, I can by 5 bottles of whatnot for less than the price of just one whatnot. Before I know it, I have spent nearly $80 on enough cleaning products that I could scrub the entire city clean after a nuclear holocaust.

I can't help myself. I need help. Really. It's gotten so bad that I will find someone who is working there and beg them to go down the aisle for me to get the occasional item that manages it's way upon my list. Oh, I beg. I have even managed to squeak out my horrible lack of will-power to the poor 16 year old bagger that just happened to innocently ask me if I "needed any help?" I think the pacing back and forth between Aisle 9 and 7 probably put him on alert. He did his job with a smile and I'm sure that I was the topic of much laughter later that night in the break-room.

Well, now I've done it. I've confessed it all. Anyone else out there have a secret, strange obsession? Please tell me I'm not alone. :)

5 comments:

Mama Harris said...

Oh! What I feared so many long years ago has happened! My daughter, my first to go with me shopping and who LOVED to organize my grocery cart at an early age (do you remember this Amanda?)has fallen prey to the family sickness.

I too must confess my obsession with not only Aisle 8 but also Aisle 10...all those pens and sticky notes and envelopes and new paper and paper clips and rubberbands!!!
Just the thought of Aisle 10 makes me weak. And it doesn't stop there...I can't go into Office Depot or Frys Electronics here in Las Vegas without a full paycheck to back any purchase that I might NEED. It's funny. It's almost hysterical to know how I plot to get myself into that stationary aisle...and I'll spend almost my entire alloted shopping time in that aisle.

I'm sorry Amanda....you are doomed forever to the walkways of Aisle 8. That is of course until you mature to Aisle 10! haha...

Love
Mom

Mandy and Alex said...

Ah Ha! I knew it! I wasn't alone after all. I can't think of a better person to share my Aisle obsession with. :) I love you Mom.

CB said...

Mandy, I am dying right now! The laundry aisle does not entice me much but I am complete accord with your mom! Oooh, the office supplies isle (walmart is forever changing down here so I do not know the exact aisle #)....i do believe i am border line obsessed.....:)

Jacob and Emily said...

Okay, I'm going to comment and then I'm sure Jake will when he gets home.

This obsession is definitely family related. I make a list, look for coupons, and head to the store. I grab my cart and the compulsion begins. All the boxes must go together. All the cans are together. We can't have a kid because I'm not sure were the bread will go. Oh I could go on. I don't have an exact isle. I seem to go up and down each one looking for good deals. One time I saw Quaker Granola Bars for "buy 2 get 3 free". It wasn't on the list. On top of that I had "$0.75 off two boxes". I think I paid $0.50 a box (usually $2 a box). I got 10+ boxes of Granola Bars.

When I unload my cart I have to give them the cans first so they don't squish my fruit. There is a process. I feel your pain.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

LOL, oh man you are funny! I am a total impulsive shopper and I wish I wasn't. I should learn to shop with you and all your organization!