Our journey

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Untold Quirk

There is no way around it. I'm a little...well, nuts. I am quite particular about a few things in life and I'm not sure exactly why. So I thought that I would share one of them with you.

Laundry. My laundry is organized and it has helped me immensely! How has it helped me? Well, before both Alex and I would just fill up a laundry basket until it was full to the brim until laundry day. Then I would take it all out, sort it into piles on the floor and spend the rest of the day keeping an eye on the washer and dryer...in theory. Most of the time I would get distracted or have to run off somewhere leaving piles of dirty clothes in the bedroom which would then be thrown back into the basket until it was over-flowing once more and I would repeat the process. Not to mention the days when I was looking for some article and I couldn't find it and would have to dump the whole thing out and sift through the towels and unmentionables until I came across the item just to discover that it truly was dirty and now I'd have to figure out something else to wear. Whew!

I knew this was a system that wasn't working and had to change. I have seen the laundry organizers with the names printed on them but they were small and only had 3 compartments. I looked all over the place until I decided to get these with the gift cards that I've been saving up. I wrote the categories and have a completely different one to the side for "dry-clean only".


Maybe that doesn't sound so crazy after all, but if you'll take a closer look you may notice that all the baskets/hampers are matching and they are placed in alphabetical order. What's great about this is now I can visually see when it's time to do, let's say, the whites. Plus, the added bonus...Alex places his clothes in the appropriate container! (One of our first newlywed heated discussions in regards to laundry was about my role as a wife, not a mother.)

Well, there you have it. That wasn't so bad after all, or at least that's what I'll keep telling myself.

6 comments:

Britney and Jaron said...

I love your system! If I had more room in my laundry room and house I would totally do that. Especially if it got my husband to help sort the laundry! That would be reason enough! :)

Mandy and Alex said...

I keep them in our bedroom closet and then take the clothes to the laundry room in a laundry basket. I tell you, just knowing that Alex inadvertently helps is worth its weight in gold!

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Ok, so seriously where did you get them and if you don't mind me asking how much were they?! This is a FANTASTIC idea and would save me a TON of headache.

Mandy and Alex said...

Bed, Bath & Beyond over in the laundry section. And I think they cost about $16.00 a piece which can add up fast because they're sold separately. But again, I think it's worth its weight in gold and I definitely will be using this when we have kids.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Thank YOU so much Mandy!! I am seriously going tomorrow, no joke! :) Love your little quirk

Mama Harris said...

I do laundry every day. It's not that I must do it because I have kids that need a special shirt, blouse or that pair of jeans or even a baby in need of diapers. I just do laundry every day.
Ok..ok..maybe I'm the one who's a little nuts here but I ENJOY my laundry room. It's my place, my space and I equate it to the opposite of the "man cave" (garage).
I don't mind folding towels or clothes fresh out of the hot dryer. As a matter of fact, I don't mind folding at all! (laughing here as I remember being told by my kids to STOP folding the clothes at Mervyns that other people had messed up) Maybe it's a little OCD coming out?
Anyway...I like the looks of your new laundry system and I agree with you that it does help you to see if you have a full load waiting for you!